Thursday, November 06, 2008

Being a good parent

I realized I had finally become a good parent when I took the kids out trick or treating. As we approached a home Natalie pointed out a huge pumpkin on the porch. It was painted with a blue BYU. Natalie noticed this and said, "Dad we can't go to this house." I replied, "Why not?" "Because they have a BYU on their pumpkin."
It was then and there that I realized that my kids were choosing the red.

(In actuality I do very little with anti-BYU stuff. I cheer for the U, they get the negative stuff when others, mainly relatives try to get them to go for the Y and tell them Utah stinks. My kids feel bad about it because I cheer for the U and kids tend to cheer for whoever their dad does. This leads to the negativity. I know some of you think I actively say things about the Y, not really, but I will defend the U when others attack--and apparently so will my kids.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's rubbish. I hear more Y trash from you than anyone. Get off your soap box!

jfasioe said...

I was waiting for this, first off I love the anonymity of this comment but wanted to address it anyhow, and second of all if you actually read what I wrote, I don't preach it to my kids. Sure I may spout off about the Y, but not to my kids. We cheer for the U, not against the Y. Even in my classes at school where I am definitely in the minority cheering for the U, I say very little against the Y--however, if you attack, then yes I will defend.
I have a lot of admiration for the Y and have for a while. I will never say they suck, because they don't. I think many fans get unrealistic about expectations and that is where we have our differences. But hey say whatever you want from behind the keyboard and not identifying yourself. And this is MY soap box I can and will say whatever I feel.

Anonymous said...

I love this stuff! I am a big BYU fan, but I definitely respect the U (I took quite a few classes there and loved them all). I'm not much of a trash talker, okay, I never talk trash. BUT I think the rivalry is fun. Especially when it comes to our family! I get a real kick out of it! Hope you all are doing well there! We hope we get to see you all when we are out there for Christmas!

Bryan said...

Way to go Jared! You're raising your kids right. We talk trash when its appropriate and founded. Not like many byu fans who most of the time don't have a clue what they are saying.

Code Turner said...

Every good parent brainwashes their kids to like their sports teams. Kids tend to take things to the extreme (black and white, right and wrong) with teams. But I know I'm a good parent if my children hate (yes, hate) the lakers and dallascowgirls more than me.