Sunday, March 22, 2009

Devil vs. Angel

Yeah its been a while. A long while at that. I could make excuses, but that's all they'd be. There are a few topics I would like to get to, and will, but want to post on what happened today as I found it interesting.

First off by no means am I writing on this topic to say that I am some great guy, that is not the purpose. Of course most of you already know that anyhow;) I just found the following incident interesting:

I could tell this long story about what I was going to sell on ebay but I won't. I will say I found a local buyer and planned to meet up with them while we were at the inlaws today. We had agreed on a price and we met, I delivered and he gave me the money. Now we get to the interesting part.

As I was driving off I took a look at the cash and realized he had paid me $10 more than we had decided. I still continued to drive. Within mere moments my mind was flooded with all sorts of excuses, such as 'it was his mistake' 'maybe he was willing to pay more' 'no one will know' etc... I still kept driving. The angel on the other shoulder was sending the opposite message, but of course I would have to give back the money. Finally the thought came to me 'Are you willing to sell your integrity, your soul for $10?' At that I whipped around and luckily he hadn't pulled out in the street. I honked, jumped out and gave him his money. He was genuinely appreciative and am sure even happier with his purchase. I left the scene feeling good as well.

This is loaded topic and there is much I could discuss. And again I didn't post this for everyone to read and say how great I am. Remember I kept driving. If I had kept the money I would have entered into dishonest territory. As much as I could have justified and made excuses--I would know that I was in the wrong. That $10 would have been a bane on my conscience. We are told to be honest and for the most part I think all of us try, some of us are down the line honest, others when it benefits us we are. Yet I can't help but think of the thought that came to me 'Are you willing to sell your integrity for a $10?' First off I want to say that any amount is wrong and that is my point. What do we allow to get in the way of doing the right thing? Is it money? Fame? Vanity? Pride? Or something else? I think these little $10 moments are what lead us off the path and lead to the bigger moments. I would never rob a bank, but will I take extra from someone who didn't mean to give me the extra money? And if I do take it what else am I willing to justify? Maybe I do rob that bank in the future if I get off the path now.

Pres. Monson said the following about choices:
"What does it do to me?
What does it do for me?
What will I think of myself?--NOT what will others think of me?"

We need to ask ourselves these questions and then when the moment comes when the angel and the devil are dueling on our shoulders--be more valiant and do the right thing. "What are you willing to sell your integrity/soul for?

No comments: