Sunday, May 02, 2010

State Champs--Wild Weekend

This was destined to be a good weekend. It started after raising over $2600 for the Amigos of Honduras to help build a school and water project. I was driving home when I received a call from my uncle Bill. I was hoping it was a ticket to the Jazz game and was thrilled when he verified that.

We all got to be in a suite to watch the game. Hard to beat getting all you can eat bbq while watching a playoff game with your family(extended fam). I love the Jazz and can't stand Denver so this was a treat to watch them dismantle the Nuggets. For a time the Jazz were sluggish, but I never felt the game was in question. Especially since Pres. Monson came by to say hi which was just enough to the Jazz the good karma.

Here are my observations from the game:
Wesley Mathews is such a find. Big time heart, determination, and free throws. Hard to believe he made the team because CJ was hurt.
When Millsap is on we are hard to beat. Bench play is always a key to winning. He was fantastic tonight.
A down night for DWill is still way better than a good night for most guards. People keep saying he is the best pg in the league. Maybe, I don't really care, he is definitely one of the best and can really take over when needed.
Fez is not there yet. He needs some more playing time.
Playoff games are insanely loud and fun.
My cousing Mike is insanely loud.
I am grateful for the ticket. Thanks again and go Jazz.

Got home at 1 am took a while to sleep. Got up at 6 am and headed over to one of the students homes for breakfast before we left. I need to add that I am so impressed with the caliber of our community. We had a family offer to let us use their 15 passenger van and host breakfast before we went to the Olympiad. Wow. What a great blessing for us to have such great people willing to step up and help out. Another reason I am so glad to be where I am at.

BTW breakfast was killer. Anything you wanted was available. I opted for perfectly cooked bacon, eggs, OJ. Perfect way to start out. Things were definitely going our way.

On the road I could tell everyone was a little tense, and nervous. I told everyone to relax. They were on the team because I believed in them and I knew that they would do well and regardless of outcome I couldn't be happier with our team.

Despite the 45min intervals in the events the day went by fast.

I have won before. That being said I have never won anything close to this magnitude.
A State Championship. Sat May 1st we entered the State Geography Olympiad as an underdog and a dark horse. Davis district has never had a school win the award, in fact Oak Canyon Jr High in Lindon has been the perennial favorite winning six of the last seven. This was my second year in the event. Last year I didn't really know what I was doing, this year I knew from first term who I wanted on the team. Last year we didn't even receive so much as a third place in any single event. This year we had eight great students divided into two teams. I felt good about both teams and hoped one of them would be able to at least place.

The Olympiad is broken into five events;team test, individual tests, gps course, presentation, and trivia bowl. We practiced on the gps Thurs morning at 7 am in the snow. I guess it was enough because in that event both teams placed taking 2nd and 3rd. Our winning team also took first in their grouping for the trivia bowl and scored the second highest on the presentations. When it came time to announcing the winners we were hoping, but there were a lot of great teams that seemed to have more medals in the different events than we did. When they announced 3rd and 2nd were the Oak Canyon school that has won so often I had the slightest hope. After announcing 3rd and 2nd for the different events one of our team members would say "Well that just means we took 1st." I was hoping this time he was right.

When they announced that we had won it took a second to realize. (West High had a team there and we were constantly getting ready to stand when they announced 'west' and were disappointed when we heard the 'high') I have to say that I am not sure that I would be anymore elated winning the state basketball tournament. I was excited for our team. I had to do my best to remain somewhat composed in front of everyone. When we went to the van to leave I did my fist pumping and yelling.

Whether we had won or not this was the best group of students I have ever had. One of the reasons I knew we would do well is that each of them is not only a great student(I have plenty of those) but each has high moral character. Which in my book is the most undervalued yet biggest difference maker there is. I am fond of saying I want all my students to get a good grade, but I would take a C student who is a good person any day over an A student that is a jerk. Each of these students exemplifies the very best our school has to offer. It was no surprise we won really not only did we have a smart team, but you will not find a better group of 9th graders anywhere. And I mean anywhere. This was also the most competitive group of students I have had as well. A killer combination. This was the best moment I have had in teaching and this was best group of students I have had. Perfect Storm for a state title. In fact maybe the most touching part of the whole day was that each of our teams fully supported the other. While the one group won overall the other group fully supported them. It was a total team victory. There is that character I have been touting.
Final observations
I was happy getting a ribbon getting more than that was just gravy.
Amazing that our impromptu gps training turned into 2nd and 3rd.
We not only had the best team, but the most well rounded, our team is full of track stars, soccer players, talented musicians and singers, and of course hunters. Not sure some of the other teams get out much.
Nothing beats that winning feeling.
Quotes of the day, "We all know that the Great Salt Lake is a lake"
Upon getting the trophy the host said this will stay with the school for year and then they'll bring it back. One of our students replied, "Oh, its not coming back."

Got to the temple afterward and then Reed took us out for dinner at the Mandarin. What a way to top off such a great day. What a weekend! One for the memories. And in the end that's what we do, make good memories.





No comments: