Thursday, January 29, 2009

REVIEWS

I have been meaning to review quite a few items for some time, I just finished reading the Anatomy of Peace and feel now is the time for my reviews.

ENV2
Have had this phone for a month and love it. When I was deciding which one to get I went to a few verizon stores at each place the employee I was talking to pulled out their env2 and raved about it. They said it was the least returned and had fewer problems than any phone. The employees usually use the best stuff so I felt good about it. A month later I feel even better about it. I know a lot of people that have touch phones that wish they didn't. Here is what I like most: great to text with, I make excuses just to use the key pad. Camera is great. Locks up automatically so its not taking a bunch of pics of my pocket. Battery life is great. (I didn't charge it all last week.) Great phone, I am completely satisfied.



Anatomy of Peace
This is from the same group that did Leadership and Self Deception. That book is more for companies. This one is for everyone. And I do mean everyone. Honestly this book should be required for everyone. Isn't peace what all of us are after? This book helps each of us understand where we create our own conflicts. In many cases when we are trying to correct others, like dealing with teens, we provoke a fight instead of solving anything. This book helps us examine where we make things worse instead of making things better. I can't think of a more important subject for myself. It makes you reevalute how you deal with situations and gives you the recipe for success. Would whole heartedly recommend.

Settlers of Catan
Nice family game. Good strategy game, where the roll of the dice determines what resources you will get. You get to build roads, settlements, and cities to get more resources. Part strategy and part luck of the roll(although you build on areas that are most probable to be rolled) Nice competitive game. Kelsey picked it up fast. The online version is slick, but the way to get in is pretty lame. Thumbs up. Especially good for 3-4 people. Lots of little pieces make it hard to have around little kids, and easy to lose. Only drawback.

Ticket to Ride
In this game you get destination cards and have to build trains using color coded cards from one place to another. Not as much luck, no roll of the dice, but still some--as far as which cards you can pick, as Catan. This is a great game, more for adults, because there is more strategy, our kids had a harder time picking up on it, and prefer settlers. I prefer ticket to ride. Not as many little pieces as Settlers, but plenty of little trains. Need to keep an eye on all the pieces. A great game night game.

Lie to Me
Fox has really hyped this show, so I watched it. Let's just say this is average as they come. Nothing surprising, or real revealing. I like the science behind it, but certainly watching a tv show is a limited way of really learning about it. I am sure some will watch and try to live the guidelines in real life. Just like all the wannabe forensics or detectives from csi watching. I won't record this show or make a point to see it. Pretty standard stuff

Philly Cheese steak in Clearfield
I have had the best Salt Lake has to offer in Moochies. I actually like this one better. Both are expensive. This one has better bread, Moochies has thicker bread. Great sandwich. Make sure to have a toothbrush handy as your breath will be kicking after eating one. I do like Moochies Jalapeno sauce better. Also this place has a ketchup option, that is weird. Can't imagine doing it. My mouth is watering right now thinking about it. You will be happy if you get one.

1 comment:

Lisel said...

I love both of those games too, my brother introduced them to us. He also really like Carcassone. Have you tried that one?