Monday, June 01, 2009

Kia Kaha-- Forever Strong



I love rugby. As much as I like football I think rugby is a better game. Let me give you a few reasons. First of all, everyone gets a chance to get the ball. Yea your bigger guys are expect to lead the scrums and do more of the grunt work, but they still get the ball. It is a terrific team game of passing, subterfuge, strategy, and athleticism. I like that the game continually flows, unlike the huddles of football. It is a great sport to play.

I have always marveled at Highland Rugby and their ability to win. A few of my friends played for Coach Gelwix and they revere the man just like in the show. I like the idea that character is the biggest factor in winning. When it comes down to it, you want guys you can trust completely and who won't quit. As Gelwix would say champions off the field as well. Coach Gelwix explained that the team's success comes through application of gospel principles. The team is expected to keep the commandments, to adhere, to high moral standards, and to be "others centered, not self-centered."

He said: "I believe the strength of our team is taking fine young athletes and encouraging them to square their beliefs in God with their behavior. This is an unbeatable combination on any kind of playing field or in life."

The film itself shows the maturity of Mormon movies. About 10 years ago when the market first really opened they were silly and amateurish. I watched many a film and was waiting for one that really stood out. Richard Dutcher's films have been good but none of them were great. In fact many of the films are almost unwatchable and seemed to be produced just because they know other members will watch because they are about the church. This one is not really a church movie, but it is about church principles and Coach Gelwix definitely uses gospel principles in his coaching.

I thought the story was compelling and better than I thought. It isn't perfect though, so don't go expecting it be just that. It is enlightening and uplifting. Two qualities that really matter to me. You get a taste of rugby, the haka, and character. You also feel the wounds of measuring up, dreams lost, and the peace of forgiveness. Janalynn said she cried three times and may have liked it better than Remember the Titans--I don't know if I'd go that far--the acting, script, and some scenes aren't quite up to that level, but it is good. Great cast, mostly good acting, great story about redemption. It gives you a greater appreciation for Coach Gelwix and what Highland Rugby really does other than win on the field. Two thumbs up.

No comments: