
It is now midway through March and Porter, before today, had not attended his sunbeam class without either screaming so loud he had to be removed(I could hear him in my class when he was in sharing time), or having myself or Janalynn accompany him. We bought this little red mitt about a month ago to "bribe" him to go to class by himself. We would pump him up before he went to church only to have him realize in sac. meeting that he was going to have to actually go to class by himself to get the prize. A few weeks ago he gave up on the idea of ever getting the mitt, he knew he didn't want it enough to have to go class alone. I am not sure if the stars were aligned right, or he was getting over this separation anxiety, or something else entirely, but he finally went to class by himself. Mind you that makes it sound easy, it was not. I had to sit with him during opening exercises and hear him repeat again and again that he wanted to go home. "Let's go home dad, I wanna go home." I didn't think he was gonna be able to do it. When his dutiful teachers spoke to him, he scowled in rebellion. So when we split, I went with him to sharing time and told him I had to go for a minute, but I would be back. He wasn't too happy and directed the scowl at me. I left, as he sat on the end of his row by himself. I thought for sure I would hear him scream in a minute. I went to my class and sat dreadfully awaiting his screams. They never came. But it wasn't that easy still. I had to get up and get scriptures so I poked my head in and saw Natalie sitting next to him. Apparently he started crying and Natalie's teacher, told her to sit by him. Good move. Now came the moment of truth, my class is in the same room that Porters goes into. When I emerged he was in good spirits, "Hi dad." His teachers patted me on the back and I walked out. He lasted the final half hour and all was well. Upon arriving home we opened the mitt and played for about an hour. This consisted of Mac bringing his ball for me to throw and Porter throwing me his ball as well. Luckily the mitt has velcro and it works. He hasn't taken it off yet.
Randomness:
Kailey informed me she can write in Elvish. I replied with "I wish you would have worked this hard in French." Her answer, "Elvish is easier than French." I don't even know where to go with this; at least it is not Vulcan.
We have decided to watch BBCAmercia's new "Robin Hood" every week as a family. I like the story and the history stuff, plus the first one was well done. Kailey says Robin is cute, I am not sure he knows Elvish though. Janalynn likes the fact we are together watching it. Porter and Natalie keep waiting for the "real" Robin Hood, the fox (Disney) to show up.
We bought a some new couches yesterday off of KSL.com classifieds. Whatta deal! An eight piece leather set including a sofa, loveseat, chair, ottoman, end tables, chaser, and coffee table for $500. It is in excellent condition. I saw it at 8:00 pm Friday and called on it only to get the answering machine, it had been up for 40 minutes, so I was sure they were on the other line selling it to someone else, I called back a few times, left a message and gave up. In an hour there were like a hundred views. The phone rang, female voice told me that hope was not lost, I was the 2nd caller, the first could not pick them up, and if I could pick them up they were mine. I assured her I could, although I hadn't a clue how I was gonna get them. After I talked Reed, father in law, into picking them up I had my plan to get them. When we got there and saw them it was almost like getting some of the show room floor at rc willeys. They were much better looking than in the photos and were in excellent shape. Every once in a while you get a great deal, this was one of them.
Tomorrow we play for the division championship against Bennion. I am unsure how we will do, I imagine great support, I imagine good effort, but we came out so flat against Brockbank that it is hard to say. BTW, on the Brockbank game we shot 9-32 free throws and had 15 points at halftime, despite all that we only lost by one point, in which we had a point subtracted, a techincal foul on our crowd(HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A TECHINCAL FOUL GIVEN TO THE ROAD TEAM'S CROWD. WHATTA JOKE!) I now know what getting homered is all about. But 9/32 free throws, wow. If we play with great intensity we will be real tough to beat. We have never beaten Bennion before so it would be real nice to do it.
A few weeks ago Classic Fun Center, which is just around the corner, had a free night for all familits of Heritage. Natalie, Porter, and Kelsey went with me. Perhaps I haven't been to a skating rink for a while, that's not a bad thing is it, but they allowed strollers, scooters, all sorts of wheeled contraptions on the rink itself. Kelsey spent all of her time bothering boys, acting embarrassed when they ogled, while secretly enjoying it. Natalie did a few trips with the scooter, but mostly played with Porter in Pirates Cove. Not to be mistaken with the 50 million dollar Lake Mead version, this one was a 3-8 year olds dream. There were slides, and ropes, and things to climb, areas only big enough for little kids. Despite having a lot of people there it was a fun night.



No comments:
Post a Comment