Monday, January 15, 2007

24 Returns




In my tv review that I wrote about a month ago I gave the many reasons why I think 24 is the best show on tv. Feel free to reread that part on 24 because it lived up to all my expectations. I really like how Fox opens the 24 season, they have a two day four hour event that easily could have been an extra three weeks of them milking it. Obviously they do it partly to get viewers hooked and for ratings, but they also do it for the fans. I am not aware of another show that opens with four hours in two days. I think most 24 fans get real giddy for the opener cause they get to watch for four hours after waiting for over six months. It's a nice gesture. BTW, even after the two hours tonight there are 20 more episodes, so at least 20 more weeks which is roughly five months, meaning it will end when school gets out. Nice.

I will say the only good way to watch 24 is with a DVR/Tivo. Here are the advantages: You can watch it when you have time. You can rewatch before the next week. You can fast forward, rewind, pause, or do whatever.(Fast forwarding is imp, esp if you watched last night there were a few spots that had up to five minutes of commercials) You don't have to worry if it will record or not, I have mine set to record the series, I don't have to redo it each week. With kids it is essential. I put them to bed and watch the show. It's a nice incentive to get the kids to bed early:)

I was a little worried that I was gonna know too much going into this. What I mean is I thought the trailer and ads gave away too much. I guess I was wrong. They gave away just a little, but what little they did give away only lasted for the first two episodes anyway. In other words they got one over on us. I must admit that was a pleasant surprise.

Here are my thoughts: Since when did the U.S. negotiate with the terrorists? I thought that was kinda hokey. I guess they needed to get Jack out of prison, but it seemed awfully contrived.

How could you ever sacrifice Jack Bauer without knowing for sure your plan would work. They sure made the govt. look weak.

I knew Ahmed was bad the moment I saw him. Why else would they highlight him?

Nice to see Peter MacNichol even if I think his character is a weasel. He is a good actor and will bring a lot to the show.

Now I teach this stuff so I know it well, but don't you have to be 35 to be the president? Wayne Palmer looks and acts like he is 30, it he is 35 it's just barely.

Jack's line about dying for something instead of nothing makes you like him even more. He might be the greatest American/patriot of all time. Oh wait, he's not real is he. I guess I'll rank him 3rd then, behind Washington and Lincoln. Jack Bauer is the USA.

Porter got up when Jack bit the guy, you know which part I mean, of all parts, my gosh, luckily I covered his eyes up in time. Needless to say that is the grossest thing I have ever seen in 24. (Mind you I haven't seen all the seasons) It was kinda like the part in Return of the King when Smeagol becomes Gollum by killing his cousin, but without the freaky music.

Is there a better sound than the clock ticking before and after commercials? I didn't think so.

Jack rescuing Assad, and taking matters into his own hands is every reason why he is the greatest. Talk about intiative, Nike should quit pushing these near criminals on us and use Jack Bauer for their ads. Has there ever been a more worthy person to champion the "Just Do It" slogan? Again I didn't think so.

With 24 you never know who will be back, but I must admit I was happy to see Chloe, Bill, and Curtis. We'll see how long they last.

Finally, can't wait for tonight.

No comments: