Monday, October 22, 2007

33 years

Well the birthday week finally came to a close. It's really astounding to know that I am now 33 years old. I don't feel it, I mean I know it's not the same as when I was 17 and could play bball for 5-6 hours a day. I guess when you are a kid you think anything over 30 is getting old. In some ways that is true, I mean I can still remember typewriters and a good old prank call, those days are long gone now. I grew up in the 80's and that was 20 years ago. But it doesn't really seem like it. I guess the thing for me is to live my life without regret and become a better person than I was the day before, somedays that happens, other days it doesn't. I'd like to think that I have more progessive days than not.

I am having my best teaching year ever. My 8th graders, typically worse than 9th graders, have a 2.85 gpa, which is the highest I have ever had. They are really doing well. The ninth graders are around a 2.5 with some doing outstanding and others not really doing well. We also have an advisory class which I absolutely love. I guess the best way to describe it is being like a homeroom. We get to talk character ed and all. We are having a schoolwide food drive and the class that brings in the most gets a sundae party. My class brought in 550+ cans at one point we had 344 the rest of the school had 200, they have picked it up and we have tapped out our resources, but it is cool to see how a small group of committed individuals can make a difference.

No comments: