Sunday, June 03, 2007

School's out for the summer

This was a difficult year in many ways so I am not to sad to see it end. In most years when it comes to the last week I am torched emotionally and have a mixed emotions about the end of the year. Usually I am sad to see students leave, this year I didn't have the emotional attachment I usually have(I will get into the whole why of that in a minute) so when I had my last class with 9th graders there wasn't the normal sadness.

I am going to mention a few students here. Everyone has their favorites, they just do, here are mine and why. Lets' begin with Patricia Maldonado, last year she fizzled in the end getting around a 1.0 4th term, this year she started with a 4.0, and held true to that for most of the year. She was also my TA and did a commendable job in that setting too.

Justin Jones started out on fire and then dropped like nothing else 2nd term, he recovered and ended up doing better than he ever did in the beginning. We actually had a wrestling match in front of the class, he is a big tough kid, I won, but only cause I'm smarter(I used an illegal hold). He loved hearing You're the Inspiration by Chicago, we used to sing it to each other.

Jay Gordon is one of those kids that you just like from day one, he's a little bit cocky, but not in a bad way, more in a fun way. He had a long flowing mane, too long in fact, and was a people pleaser for the most part. Just a good, fun kid.

Then there is Sara Al-Tamini who breaks every stereotype there is. An Iraqi immigrant, she is as American as they come. Last year she really struggled and never really turned it on, but ended up this year in the 3.0 range and being a real asset to the school. The funny thing about Sara is she is real spunky, I mean real spunky, she kicks boys in the shin, argues, debates, fights, all the stuff a hyperactive girl does, and she is muslim. My favorite Sara story is that one day shw was in a fight with a girl from her mosque. She was real mad at this girl, she told me that if this girl did anything more she would pull off her turban(the most taboo thing you can do for women)in front of everyone at the mosque. That in essence is Sara. I have more favorites but they are 8th graders and coming back, so I will stop there.

Let me add a few things here, after checking grades it turns out that the ninth graders I had finished with a cum 2.4 gpa--let me qualify this by saying I do believe that is the highest I have ever had. The 8th graders finished with a 1.8(that is more of what I an used to seeing.) So it was a good year, not great, there were too many extraneous events that colored the year. And like I mentioned I was never fully able to attach myself, for good or bad. We did have fun though and I feel I was able to make a difference. I received many nice letters at the end of the year from all the students. One student that never really got in gear, wrote that I had inspired him and that was the only person who ever had. That was nice.

We are losing several teachers, among them my riding and coaching partner Mark Mageras, my good friend and colleague Matt Goebel, our Vice Principal, the affable Heather Hansen, and our new active and fun science teacher Tamara Prina. I will miss each one for different reasons. It will be real hard to see Matt Goebel leave, we both started together, and now I am the only teacher left that came in on Matheson's second year(we got these commerative pins-I have a 4--my years at the school). He is a solid teacher that really tries to do his best, but he is an even better person. He is going into administration and I can never fault anyone for trying to improve their family. Mark is leaving for Woods Cross we rode together the whole year and I came to appreciate him as a good person who wants to do the right thing. Plus we had good sports talks, that will definitely be lacking now. Tamara was new this year and for a first year teacher I thought she did as well as anyone I can remember. Too bad she couldn't have stayed longer, she was really hitting her groove by the end. Heather Hansen(Lake) is leaving because she got married, to Newport Beach of all places. She did well in her short time. It was interesting to see such a nice person have to be the bad guy and do it so well. So to those that are leaving, best wishes.

I work with some of the best people around. The one thing about teachers is they, for the most part, are real good people who want to help kids/people out. It is a tremendous group of people to work with. I was impressed with the support, as was Janalynn when my dad died in the fall. It can be a taxing profession, but honestly, I am not burned out, I look forward to the fall(I want to enjoy the summer first). On that note, here's to a most wonderful summer.

No comments: