My supervisor Paul came out to the school during the week and made me leave the class for about 15 minutes. Today at the end of the meeting I received a manila envelope with letters from the class. They were nice to receive. Most were sincere and heartfelt. Nothing quite compared to the following, from a girl who out of the 7 weeks of the term has come maybe a week and a half.
I know I haven't come to school much, but I know you wonder where I hide.
How classic is that?
Or there is this one
thanks for making history way funner than Ms. Hatch's class
Nothing like giving complement by slamming someone else.
Then there was this one
Mr. Fawson thanks for turning me around. My grades are good now. Thank you for not giving up on me. I know I was annoying at first and I don't know how you did it. Even my parents couldn't do it, but somehow you did. The other teachers had already quit on me and then there was the day you yelled at me. It just took you doing that. You gave me a good talking to.
This kid is right he was real annoying, and he received one of my best public beratings of all time. I had been nice and it didn't work, I got tough and he kicked in. Each kid is so different there is no right way to do it. There are plenty of wrong ways though.
This was nice and certainly will factor into my decision. Teaching 30+ students has its place, but making a real difference, taking a kid that is ready to give up and giving them hope is why I got into this business. Its what I do best. It is also interesting to note that most of the kids thank me for not giving up on them, pushing them to their best and doing their work. They usually complain about those things, yet they really do appreciate them. I know I could be doing a lot of different things in life, but I have a knack for knowing how to motivate and help a kid out, and to be honest I am not sure if this isn't what I am supposed to be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment