Monday, November 12, 2007

Be Afraid


At the start of the year when Jason Boone the best offensive lineman, Matt Asiata the best runningback, Brian Johnson the best player and qb, and Brent Casteel the best athlete all were hurt and Utah was 1-3 coming off a 27-0 thumping by terrible UNLV I was worried.

I had low hopes for the season and felt as if it was going to be a waste. Then Johnson got healthy, the line became this cohesive wall, Darrell Mack became a stud, and the Defense began to rule their domain with utter contempt for their opponents. Now the team has won six straight and just thumped Wyoming 50-0. It could have been 80-0. This is after beating CSU 27-0. Last two games = two shutouts. After this weekends pulverizing of Wyoming I imagine most teams are very worried about playing the U. They owe both New Mexico and the team down south and it looks like this team is big into payback.

On Saturday when we were at the Jazz game, Covili told me that up 43-0 the Utes attempted an onside kick. I had to ask again and again, "We really did an onside kick up 43-0?" I was shocked. This has been big talk since it happened. I have to admit that I am still shocked. Since I have coached a few bad teams I am sensitive to what it is like when you are losing. And not just losing but having no chance of winning. I would say that doing an onside kick when up 43-0 is overkill, at that point its not about winning and losing its about rubbing it in. I guess that is what Kyle was after, and it definitely hit home as their coach lost control and flipped off the fans. But that isn't what sports are about.

Today I stayed for the wrestling meet at our school and was highly impressed with our school's team. At one point our capt was in a tussle with a bigger kid who he managed to beat and have pinned down. In the process of trying to pin him this other kid was in pain and asked the ref to call the match. Our captain, let up after it was called, knelt down and made sure he was allright. He then helped him up and instead of shaking his hand gave him a big bearhug. I was touched by his concern and sportsmanship. To me that is what makes athletics and competition great.

Back to the Utes: I have to admit I like the swaggar, the confidence, the step on your throat mentality. It's the first time I have seen that from a Whittingham coached team. So be afraid this team will kick you where it counts and then stand over you and gloat.

No comments: