10. The hours are great. 7:15 to 3:15 no weekends and every holiday even made up holidays. If I stay late its because I want to, not because I have to.
9. Autonomy. Sure there is curriculum and standards, but I get to decide how I am going to present the material. No one breathes down my neck or really even checks on me. I have complete control over what goes on in my room.
8. Subject matter. Right now I teach Geography, US history, Utah Studies, and a Social Skills class. I like most everything I teach and know it well. I especially like the Social Skills classes to talk about character and stuff.
7. Coaching. I get to coach basketball. This year I will be the head coach for the first time. I am nervous but excited at the same time. I enjoy sports not just for the athletic part, but the mental struggle, and competing.
6. Faculty. At my school we have a great faculty that is supportive and helpful. Every teacher wants to do a good job, some are more effective than others, but all want to do well. I think it is rare to find a group of people so committed and caring anywhere. Teachers make great colleagues and friends.
5,4&3June, July, and August. As my uncle Bill would say, the three best things about teaching. Really I use this time to recharge, go to conferences and get better at my craft. But it sure is nice to recharge.
2. The kids. I like working with people. No matter what profession I would have chosen it would have had to had some interaction with other people. I like working with youth. I have found a niche working with at-risk kids. Sure somedays jr high kids can be a real pain, but most of them want to please and want to succeed, some just don't know how. One funny note is that if I have gas and have to release and the class smells it, they never consider blaming me, jr high boys are notorious for their immaturity and bad smells, they never consider it could have been me.
1. Impact and positive change. One of the reasons I have stayed with the at-risk kids for so long is that I love seeing positive outcomes. I am pretty good at getting most kids to turn it around and seeing the impact it has on their lives is electric. I have a few kids who were under a 1.0 last year and are now pushing a 3.5they have changed in so many ways and are becoming confident and sel-reliant. I know at the end of the day that I can make an impact in the lives of my students. Seeing their lives change and improve is the most satisfying part about teaching. My favorite assignment comes at the end when I write each student a letter on their strengths. In that letter I encourage them to make the most of their lives, stay out of trouble, and thank them for being who they are. They respond by writing me a letter. I have about a hundred letters from students who take the time to say thanks. They are thoughtful and heartfelt. Most of these kids haven't had a lot of kindness shown to them so this is neat exercise where they can appropriately give thanks and say goodbye.
No comments:
Post a Comment